House Majority Whip Steve Scalise, who was seriously wounded when a gunman opened fire in June on a congressional baseball team practice, on Sunday suggested there might be other legislation moving in his chamber that enhanced gun owner rights rather than limiting them in any way. “No more B. are too often met with arguments for why we can't do anything about gun control. 1 reply 0 retweets 1 like. 20 Feb 2018 Our GOP leaders, such as the President, along with many people on the right, say that mass shootings are not a gun problem, but a mental health issue. Ours go out to the  21 Feb 2018 Students around the country are walking out of class to demand tougher gun laws in response to last week's deadly school shooting in Parkland, Florida, but some may face Therefore, if parents wish to excuse their children from school to attend such an event or demonstration, that is their right," he said. This is the common party line for members of the National Rifle Association (NRA). They calculated that this could cost the Democrats fifteen or twenty congressional seats in districts where the gun lobby was strong. They say they want stricter gun control laws and are insisting "no more excuses" for any delays, saying they are tired  19 Feb 2018 "I hope to be able to give them some encouragement and thank them for being there, and for creating what I think is a new movement in gathering, rallying and coming all the way to fight for gun control," Yang said. There is no reason to doubt its effectiveness. No more placing gun ownership above the massacre of innocents. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad  14 Feb 2018 Josh Gad revealed that his friend's son died in the shooting, and, in a powerful Twitter thread, made an impassioned promise to fight for gun control. On one hand, you have Republican politicians, many of whom are funded by the NRA, offering thoughts and prayers; on the other are their Democrat counterparts, who have called for stronger gun control laws. Scalise  21 Feb 2018 Protests from the Parkland high school students went viral, as student Emma Gonzalez led a chant "calling BS" on excuses for inaction on gun control. 'Blood is being spilled on the . Posted on February 15, 2018 by Marc Jampole — No Comments ↓. ” Asked Thursday “It's an excuse for people who have already sold their soul to the gun lobby. No more “our prayers and thoughts…” in lieu of meaningful action. But this is foolish for their own purposes — politically, there's no chance  15 Feb 2018 On Wednesday's broadcast of MSNBC's “Hardball,” Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) stated that “excuses for failing to move forward” on gun control “are really reprehensible. S. 15 Feb 2018 And while the President said he was preparing to “tackle the difficult issue of mental health,” the school superintendent in Broward County, Florida—where the mass shooting took place—said “NOW is the time for this country to have a real conversation on gun control. If the story sounds familiar, it's because a similar dynamic has played out time and time again in recent years, after every new gut-wrenching incident of gun violence makes  23 Feb 2018 No more spouting NRA propaganda. No more legislative inaction. In Indiana, a seven-day waiting period stopped 11,158 illegal gun purchases from 1980 to  4 days ago An attorney and former sniper team leader for the U. But with gun trafficking swollen by drug profits, America can't afford more delay on the Brady bill. ,” Sen. There is no simple or single answer, but rather a combination of things we need to do. We need universal background checks; bans on  8 Oct 2017 The excuses that we hear when the controversial topic of gun control and reforming the policy takes place. target audience essay how to write comparative analysis paper cheap analysis essay ghostwriters site for college denim washing thesis disel mechanic resume nurse pediatric resume sample popular dissertation introduction writer sites for college custom college research paper sample. Point being are you for Gun Control or against it? I want the OT's opinions The 2 camp are more reasonable, and some careful legislation might win them over if they aren't just using 2 as an excuse and are in fact in the 1 or 3 camp (which  Bullshit. Enough is enough. ” Blumenthal said, “Prayers and thoughts are appropriate. 15 Feb 2018 Shootings in the U. 20 Feb 2018 Here's what you need to know about the gun control debate. You see them all the time, in the movies and the vidya games. But it's not an either/or problem. Following the recent attacks in Las Vegas and the Texas church, we have heard several different and contradictory responses to avoid and deny the issue: 1) This is not  4 Oct 2015 The day I got the first note from Huffington post that I can henceforth blog for them, I was ecstatic - and scared. "I really want to talk to them, because they've been there, and they are real people who  13 Oct 2017 And so to the tragic mystery of Las Vegas and Stephen Paddock, and yet another pointless massacre made possible by testosterone-laden gun laws that allow thousands of Americans to build battlefield arsenals. All Rights Reserved. Even when a congresswoman gets shot, Congress doesn't seem interested in discussing the issue past "This was a terrible and violent crime. We don't need the NRA's excuses, we need the NRA to finally stand up and use its power to supply the American people with something they deserve. California has liberal gun laws, and this proves they don't work, they insisted. All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Raycom Media. Some supporters of gun control want to look away from the failures of law enforcement to keep the focus on the guns. 1. No more excuses. 10 Nov 2017 In the wake of repeated mass shootings, Republicans can't seem to make up their minds about how to avoid talking about gun control. 22 Feb 2018 NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. The teens demanded the politicians stop making excuses and immediately pass laws in the aftermath of the Florida bloodshed — or face being . It's an old dance, and  3 Oct 2017 Those kinds of details don't fit the conservative, pro-gun narrative, though. Putting ill trained and mostly uncooperative people with guns in classrooms is ridiculous. Statements like “we have always done it this way” can be heard nationwide after each mass murder in the United States. The American Grand Guignol of mass murder at a school plays out once again while rightwing politicians make their excuses for not tightening gun laws. There is nothing we  6 Oct 2017 The US needs new gun laws – but first it needs to shed the myths that sustain its reliance on weapons, writes Guardian editor-at-large Gary Younge. Reply. The two congressional leaders were worried about the gun control section of the pending crime bill that banned assault weapons. Is there not a perverse irony in the fact President Trump fulminates on the terrorist threat,  Gephardt told me to listen in on an extension in the den. Army explains why 10 of the most common gun control arguments don't make sense. The shooter reportedly walked up to the church wearing tactical gear and carrying a semi-automatic rifle,  EEO Report Closed Captioning · Home · News · Weather · Sports · VIDEO · Your Health · Wake Up Cleveland · About Us · Ohio News Now · Bounce TV. ”. I'm a law abiding gun owner, wife of a veteran, mother, liberal, feminist, pro-choice, pro- science, secular humanist. Our prayers are with-" and I don't know the rest, because I  6 Nov 2017 Thoughts and prayers and flags at half-mast are nothing but empty gestures from cowards unwilling to act toward a true solution. “I feel like he really needs to take into consideration all this gun control. No more reelection. ” The President never used the word  19 Feb 2018 Speakers demanded varying changes to gun control, such as banning "bump stocks" and military-style rifles, expanding background checks for gun sales, Keep our school safe. 21 Feb 2018 We've grown up with the looming threat of school shootings. I completely support common sense gun laws & have never supported the NRA. “I am going to make it my life's goal to support and vote for every single person who challenges a politician with NRA money behind them,” he wrote, in part  4 Dec 1989 There are abundant reasons beyond gun control to create the master file. " Meghan Trezies, a parent and leader with the local advocacy group Arm-in-Arm, said members of her group  15 Feb 2018 - 2 min - Uploaded by MSNBCChuck takes apart the gun lobby's usual defenses after a mass shooting and notes that in the 7 Jul 2013 - 6 min - Uploaded by nraman4everSorry for the tardiness, YouTube has been acting queer. The excuses people use against gun control are stupid. It's one of several pro-gun rights arguments, along with arming teachers or installing armed guards, that miss the point. 27 May 2014 They have their talking points at the ready for these, and they immediately got started: If we ban guns, they warned, then we have to ban knives and cars, because he used those to kill and injure people, too. If I have to do extra pprwrk, wait a few more days, take extra training, etc to make this country's gun laws safer,  16 Feb 2018 Post with 106 votes and 918 views. 6 Nov 2017 Top 5 excuses for not wanting gun control. Shawn Setaro. 16 Feb 2018 Florida school shooting: Students emerge as powerful new voice calling adults to account on gun control. ”  If you are beginning to move in an area which not only has established practice but a concurrent history of other attempts to shift it, you will face an argument along these lines: “We don't need anything new - what we need is proper enforcement of what laws on the topic we already have”. ByShawn Setaro. The students' calls for action have been subsequently ridiculed and belittled in the conservative commentators on the basis of the age of the activists. Their answers this week have ranged from  19 Feb 2018 Citizens must demand that Congress and our state lawmakers open "real" debate on gun control, and pass laws that will protect Americans from death by firearms. With 762 people killed last year, no  18 Feb 2018 That's the message seething students have for President Trump and other gun-friendly lawmakers as they gear up to march on Washington for firearms reform. 26 Feb 2018 Mental illness and gun violence are not directly correlated, but when the two go hand in hand, Americans—often children—lose their lives. To use New York as a talking point, they'd have to admit that strict gun laws might actually have an impact on homicide rates. 22 Feb 2018 Sullivan, who ran, unsuccessfully, for state Senate in 2016, says that Colorado shows that strengthening gun-control laws is possible, but keeping them in place Although Morse expresses no regrets, he said his recall after the gun-safety measures passed created an excuse for other Democrats not to act. This week's installment deals with the 19 Feb 2018 They just want to sell more guns. It makes Congress complicit in these deaths. But it is time for us to look at something different. Can you imagine what would happen if that teacher makes a mistake with the gun too? Continues idiocy by government & dominance by NRA. Someone with a gun kills people, someone who believes that restricting guns is a possible resolution to future violence says so publicly, and Republicans manifest outrage that t 15 Mar 2018 The #NeverAgain Kids Don't Have Time for Your Excuses About Gun Control. Barbara Bailey. — In his first public remarks since last week's deadly shooting at a high school in Florida, Wayne LaPierre, leader of the National Rifle Association, told a conservative convention on Thursday that gun control advocates care more about destroying liberty than protecting kids. Shared by Liammozz. 4 Oct 2017 In the wake of the mass shooting in Las Vegas, gun control advocates are renewing calls for tightening regulation on firearms. I wanted to write on topics to provok 30 Aug 2015 It's almost formulaic. To blame mental illness as the reason that Nikolas Cruz, a 19-year-old boy, used his legally  5 Oct 2017 In the aftermath of the Las Vegas shooting, the gun control debate is back. (And please  24 Feb 2018 112 Likes, 4 Comments - Ishika Mohan Motwane (@ishikamohanmotwane) on Instagram: “Gun control No excuses #guncontrol #noexcuses #mentalillness” 26 Feb 2018 The buck doesn't stop with the sheriff, in other words; it stops with whomever he happens to give a badge and a gun. We have  22 Feb 2018 But most people likely weren't aware just how stupid the state's legislators really are here on a daily basis until this week, when a brutal Florida school massacre forced national reporters to ask the state's Republican intelligentsia how they feel about gun laws. Here we are, another mass shooting and 26 innocent people dead. Shawn is a Senior Staff Writer at Complex and the host of The Cipher, a critically acclaimed hip-hop podcast that conducts in-depth interviews with the genre's most interesting and important  27 Jul 2012 With it comes the familiar conversation of whether or not to have an actual conversation about gun control. Lets talk about guns. The debate on gun control in  19 Feb 2018 Demonstrators gathered in downtown Charleston Monday afternoon in the wake of the Parkland, Florida, school shooting where police say a gunman identified as a former student killed 17. We don't make excuses for our ghastly homicide numbers in Chicago